Friday, June 26, 2009

From The Beer Fridge: Summer Solstice Cerveza Crema


The weather's been hot down here. And there is no relief in site as this weekends supposed to see temperatures rise into the mid 90's. Although, I'm usually not a huge fan of summer seasonal brews. However, since it's been so sunny and warm, we've been giving a few a try.

This week we've been drinking Summer Solstice Cerveza Crema from Anderson Valley Brewing Company located a short drive north of the Bay Area in Mendocino county. We actually took a tour of Anderson Valley Brewing back during Easter weekend. It's a very chill place, that even has a public frisbee golf course on the premises. At that time I tried their ESB and IPA. Both solid beers as I recall.

Anyway, back to the Summer Solstice Cerveza Crema. This was a beer that took a little getting used to. It's described as a "copper ale with a smooth, malty, and lightly sweet flavor with a delicate hint of spice." I usually head the other direction when I hear sweet and beer in the same sentence. However, we picked up a sixer and as it turns out, this beer gets better with every bottle (and I mean over a couple of days, not in one sitting). I don't have a super sophisticated palette, but the spice flavor (ginger perhaps) does a a good job of knocking out the sweetness that exists, so even though the flavor is somewhat complex, it is quite refreshing as a warm weather beer should be.

This may seem like an odd comparison, but after a few different tastes of this beer, I finally realized what this beer reminded me of. An unsweet version of A&W cream soda. Sounds kind of strange, but the beers creaminess just reminds me of a bottle of unsweet cream soda. Cream soda for adults. Anyway, it's a beer that I'll be enjoying during this weekends "heat wave".

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog